Monday, March 27, 2006

FAR Interview


Fallen Angel Reviews is proud to welcome Alessia Brio this afternoon for a look at an author who not only writes but also puts her words where her mouth is by supporting foundations that fight for our online freedoms. Alessia, welcome and I can’t begin to tell you how excited I am you took time to visit with our readers this today.

Alessia: I gotta tell ya, Rachelle, that these interviews are WAY fun for me. I never have any trouble talkin’ about myself. (Can’t imagine why! *wink*) So, I’m just as excited – especially since you’ve already mentioned one of my favorite pet projects.

Okay. I just poured a fresh cuppa ginger-peach tea and settled in to my comfy chair with my laptop on my legs. I’m ready. Fire away!

Rachelle: I have to admit I have so many questions and no clue which one to start with. ;) Let’s start with one of your releases from Phaze, Fine Flickering Hungers. How did you come up with such a catchy name?

Alessia: Well, first off (to be nit-picky), it’s fine flickering hungers – all lower case. The reason it’s written that way is because I swiped it from a poem entitled “The Moon Is Always Female” by Marge Piercy (my favorite poet). Here’s the passage:

There is knowing
with the teeth as well as knowing with
the tongue and knowing with the fingertips
as well as knowing with words and with all
the fine flickering hungers of the brain.

It has come to symbolize all of the desires we so often keep locked inside – either repressed or concealed. My goal with this book, and really with everything I write, is to throw those doors wide open to expose our innate sexual nature as healthy and powerful – to celebrate it rather than hide it as if it’s “dirty.”

Rachelle: You have electronic books, free short stories and are part of the print anthology Coming Together: An Erotic Cocktail. When you think of all the work that went into completing each project, which brings with it the most pride and fulfillment?

Alessia: While I am very proud of my publications with Phaze and Torquere Press (and hope to have many more), my true fulfillment comes from altruistic endeavors. Thus, Coming Together is more important to me than my own personal success. It truly is a labor of love.

Rachelle: Since I mentioned it, I would be remiss not to ask you to tell our readers about the anthology Coming Together: An Erotic Cocktail. Can you explain a little about how this collection of novels came to be and your personal reasons for participating in such a worthy cause?

Alessia: For the past few years, I’ve been a part of an online forum for authors of erotica – really terrific people with some amazing talent. Last spring, we were tossing around ideas on how to put out a print collection of our best work. The timing coincided with a free speech writing contest, and we decided that was an ideal cause to which to donate our revenues. Our first volume went on sale in June 2005, and we’ve published three more volumes since then (roughly quarterly) – with another coming soon. Each is a collection of erotic short stories, poetry, and original illustrations: hot stuff in a variety of sub-genres (hence the “cocktail” part).

Coming Together is an all volunteer effort managed entirely by consensus of the forum participants. We really have, as the title implies, “come together” to produce this series. I hope it continues indefinitely!

Here, lemme plug the site: www.EroticAnthology.com

Rachelle: I went to the Erotic Anthology store and noticed a special edition version of Coming Together. I was impressed all proceeds go to help Hurricane Katrina victims. That is very giving and compassionate and I’m sure our readers would agree that you all deserve a big thank you. Has this special edition been well received?

Alessia: Actually, all the editions have been equally well received. The special edition is our only themed issue (to date) in that each story and poem, appropriately, relates to storms.

Rachelle: Along with being an erotic writer you are also an entrepreneur. Would you like to tell our readers about Alessia’s Erotique and where they can go to experience the pleasure to be had at your online store?

Alessia: The online toy store was kind of an afterthought. A lot of my stories feature sex toys, and I figured one way to promote those stories was to show the readers where they could find them – and buy them, if interested. Thus, I created an affiliation with a large vendor such that I receive a percentage of any sales generated through my website and/or blog. I pump all the income back into promotions and professional development. Folks can visit Alessia’s Erotique at www.sextoysex.com/alessia

I’ve also started an independent sex toy review blog entitled “Toys for Tarts” where visitors can read, write, or request a review of any product – all anonymously, of course. Its home is http://toys-for-tarts.blogspot.com

Rachelle: Now that we’ve discussed your writing and business I want to give our readers a broader view about you and wondered if you could tell us a little about your home life. In your blog you mentioned being a stay at home mom. Do you find it hard to keep a writing schedule or are you strict with your creative time?

Alessia: Writing schedule? BWAH! With three pre-teen kids, any sort of schedule that centers around anything other than kids’ activities is a pipe dream. And, now that I’m published, writing time must also be balanced with promo time (like doing interviews *grin*). I write whenever I can sneak it into my day – usually while waiting for the dryer to stop so I can fold yet another load of laundry. (Sexy, huh?) I do find, however, that when nearing completion on a story, I can get rather snarky. (I know, I know. It’s hard to believe!) When that happens, I lock myself in a room and have meals poked in with a stick.

Rachelle: When you’re not spending time with your family or writing what do you do in your spare time for personal enjoyment?

Alessia: What spare time? I have trouble squeezing a shower and a meal into each day. Besides, writing IS personal enjoyment. Getting paid for it is just icing. “Researching” is also verrrry enjoyable.

Rachelle: Alessia, for pure entertainment and to get another angle of you as a person, if you were stranded in the rainforest and could keep three items from your luggage as you worked your way back to civilization what would those items be?

Alessia: A rainforest, eh? Having been to a rainforest, I would opt for a bug net, spare shoes, and a super sexy tour guide. (I always carry a super sexy tour guide in my luggage. Don’t you?)

Rachelle: With most of your work being in an electronic format, is this your preferred method of reading or do you find the need to curl up with a paperback from time to time?

Alessia: When I read, I still prefer print. Eye strain is part of the reason, but the rest is just habit that I hope to shake – since I believe eBooks will eventually replace print.

Rachelle: As a blossoming author, what or who has had the most influence in guiding your writing career?

Alessia: I’m blossoming? Cool. *grin* I’d really have to say that my colleagues in the Author’s Hangout (forum) at Literotica have influenced me the most. And a big note of thanks to accomplished erotic author Gwen Masters who has provided a ton of sage advice along the way.

Rachelle: I noticed you have a release coming this month from Torquere Press called Hallowing Eve, can you tell us a little bit about the story?

Alessia: Hallowing Eve is a short-short story – a hot little vignette, really – about female friends who become lovers during a weekend getaway. I’m told it will appear in the March issue of Fresh Off the Vine, which should be released any day now. I’m hoping it’s just the first work I’m able to share through Torquere.

Rachelle: For readers who would love to know more about you and your work do you have any upcoming chats or appearances scheduled? If so, please let our fans know when and where.

Alessia: I join a number of regular (monthly) chats with the other Phaze authors. Folks can visit my blog at http://alessiabrio.blogspot.com to view my calendar (right sidebar – scroll way down).

Appearances are tougher to manage, as they invariably involve travel away from home & family, but I hope to participate in the upcoming NYC event “Phaze in the City.” (Stay tuned for details!)

Rachelle: Alessia, I thank you for being candid and granting this interview which allows our readers into your world so they could have a clearer view of the real person behind the fabulous work. So our readers won’t lose track of any updates, where can readers and fans find additional information about you?

Alessia: Readers can stay on top of me… (Wait, that didn’t come out right!) Ahem. Everything you ever wanted to know about Alessia Brio can be found via www.AlessiaBrio.com

Rachelle: Thank you again and I eagerly await your new release Hallowing Eve.

Alessia: Thank YOU, Rachelle!

No comments: