Thursday, November 10, 2005

ERRW Interview


W: Good Morning Alessia. Not only are you a talented author but if I am not mistaken, a very busy person. So, we would love to learn more about you; especially what you are doing when not writing. Where are you from?

AB: Depends on who you ask! I'm sure there are a few who'd say I came straight from heaven, and quite a few more who'd say just the opposite. Geographically speaking, I have lived my entire life in the vicinity of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

W: Would you care to share a little about your family life with us?

AB: Well, I'm currently married … and, if you catch me at just the right moment, I may even say that's a good thing. I have three young children who test my limits on a daily basis … and, if you catch me at just the right moment, I may say that's a good thing, too.

W: Do you write full time or do you work outside the home too?

AB: No - to both. I neither write full-time, nor work outside the home. I have my fingers in a dozen different projects, most of which are volunteer efforts. Writing was "just" a hobby until very recently, and I hope it never, ever feels like "work."

W: What would be the one thing you'd want us, the reader, to know about you?

AB: That as long as my writing is enjoyed, I'll keep doing it. So, readers - yes, YOU - show your appreciation of my scribblings by giving me some feedback! (Oh, and buy every single title I publish, too. *wink*)

W: What made you decide to become a writer?

AB: Those damned pesky fantasies wouldn't leave me alone until I wrote them down!

W: What were your feelings when your first book was accepted?

AB: Elated. Amazed. Giddy. Apprehensive. Did I mention, elated?

W: Did you always want to write erotic romance? How did that come about?

AB: Come about? (*tee hee* You made a punny!)

I've written non-fiction for many years, but never even dreamed I'd be writing poetry or any type of fiction. It was those damned pesky fantasies, I tell ya! It's all THEIR fault.

W: Do you write in other genres? If so, do you use a different pen name?

AB: I don't (currently) write any other forms of fiction. I do write poetry, though. My single-author anthology, fine flickering hungers, contains eight erotic short stories and eight poems.

Pen name? You mean, you don't think Alessia Brio is my real name?

W: Who would you say was the biggest influence in your decision to write?

AB: Hmm … I can't say that anyone influenced my decision to write. ("Inspiration" is another matter entirely. *grin*) However, without the influence of my best friend, I'd never have SHARED that writing.

W: How do your family and friends feel about you being an erotic romance author?

AB: Those who know are very supportive. Most don't know.

W: How do you develop your plots and characters? Do you have any set formula or guide that you use?

AB: I am a rule-breaker, so I eschew any formulas or theories on how to effectively create enjoyable fiction. It really varies from piece to piece. Some start with an intriguing character, others with a story line, and still others with a sexual scenario around which I build a story.

W: Many writers have a set routine in their writing, either writing each day or in a certain spot. What about you?

AB: Again, it depends on the story and how it feels to me. I don't have a fixed place or time for writing. I just go with the flow. I'm horridly undisciplined, and I like it that way.

W: What advice would you give to new writers just starting out?

AB: Wait! I AM a new writer just starting out. I cut my teeth at Literotica. The Author's Hangout is a wonderfully supportive environment with some very, very talented denizens. (Nice people, too!) If erotic fiction is what you want to write, I don't think you can go wrong by tapping into the expertise found there.

W: Can you tell us a bit about the books you have out now?

AB: I have two published works, both with Phaze: Erotique, a HeatSheet Shiver, is an erotic short story about a sex toy museum and shop in which the exhibits are very "educational;" and fine flickering hungers, a single-author anthology consisting of eight erotic short stories and eight poems.

In addition, I am an active participant in a philanthropic self-publishing venture called Coming Together. It is a serial collection of erotic stories, poetry, and original illustrations. 100% of the proceeds are donated to charities. The regular editions benefit the Electronic Frontier Foundation (www.eff.org), which works to protect our online freedoms. Plus, we published a special hurricane relief edition, which benefits the American Red Cross.

W: Of all the books and stories you've written, what would you say is your favorite and why?

AB: No can do. Each occupies a special place in my heart and my mind for different reasons. Erotique, for example, is dear to me because it was the first story I wrote which required extensive research. The lead story in fine flickering hungers, entitled "Wetter Has Never Been Better," is significant because it was inspired by an awesome trip to Costa Rica. The same can be said of each story and poem. They're all my children (and I tell each it's my favorite when the others aren't listening).

W: Do you have any appearances or upcoming events that you'd like to share?

AB: Yup! The day after tomorrow (which is probably well before this interview will be published), I'm having my first book signing at an adult toy store in Milwaukee. That's November 12th at The Tool Shed. (Great name, huh?) Other than that, I'll just be around the 'Net promoting my current releases. I really want to be with my Phaze colleagues in Virginia Beach for "In the Pink" at The Pink Banana Boutique on the 19th of November … but I just can't swing it. *sigh*

W: Are you working on any books or projects that you'd like to share with us?

AB: I have two major projects in the works.

First, a contemporary erotic novel entitled Snatch. It's a story of rape and retribution.

Second, Zane. It's the novel I'm working on as part of NaNo - that's National Novel Writing Month. (See www.NaNoWriMo.org for details.) Zane is set on the frontier during the American Revolutionary War (another research-intensive project) and involves a love triangle between Betty Zane, her brother Isaac, and Wyandot princess Myeerah. Historical fiction is new territory for me, so I'm enjoying the challenge of creating a fictional story, which still fits the historical record.

I'll probably also write something for the next Phaze HeatSheet contest - Snugglers - this winter.

W: What plans do you have for the future?

AB: More writing, of course. Hopefully, you'll be reading it!

Wendi, Interviewer
Erotic Romance Reviews for Women

No comments: