Monday, November 07, 2005

JERR Interview

Phaze Multi Author Interview
by Just Erotic Romance Reviews

Can you tell us briefly about yourself for our readers?

I am the new kid on the block. I could tell you I’ve aspired to be published since I was a child, but that’d be lying. (I really wanted to be an architect.) In truth, I was bitten by the fiction-writing bug just a couple years ago – and poetry shortly thereafter. Until that time, my writing centered on OpEds and essays dealing with civil rights. I derive a great deal of personal satisfaction from my fiction, my non-fiction, and my poetry. The fact that others also enjoy them is icing on my cake. And now, as added incentive, I’m going to be PAID to do it! Well, it just doesn’t get any better than that.
What attracted you to writing erotic romance?

The emotional dynamic, the intensity, and (of course) the sex. It’s something we ALL have in common and, as a result, something with the potential to either unite or divide us. There is far too much divisiveness in the world today, so I like to think my erotica is a force for good. If my work is entertaining, I’ve taken the readers away from their problems and frustrations – if only for a short while.
Who or what has been a major influence on your writing?

I grew up on a predominantly SciFi/Fantasy diet (Heinlein, Asimov, Herbert, Tolkien, McCaffrey, Anthony, Auel) along with a smattering of horror (King, Straub, Rice). That said, I don’t think my style mirrors any of those authors.
What do you love about being a writer?

The freedom. The freedom to express myself without fear. The freedom to be my own boss. The freedom to explore sexual frontiers.
Do you have a favorite genre for writing and reading, and what are they? Is there a particular genre you’d like to explore in the future?

For writing, erotica is definitely my preference – although I write a mean OpEd, if I do say so myself. For reading, SciFi/Fantasy. I love multi-volume series (like McCaffrey’s or Herbert’s) which reflect broad socio-political dynamics.
You must feel privileged being published with such a young and dynamic e-publisher. How did you feel when your first story was accepted by Phaze?

I am thrilled to be a part of the Phaze family. However, Phaze is not just an e-publisher. It also has works in print. That was a major factor in my decision to submit my work to Phaze.
How has the opportunity to be published with Phaze turned into a positive experience? How has writing for Phaze given you more opportunities to broaden your writing skills?

Phaze was my first choice of publisher. I’ve not submitted elsewhere – and don’t foresee doing so. It’d rather focus my time and energy making myself a success with Phaze – and, in so doing, helping Phaze succeed as well.

Erotique was my first attempt at paranormal erotic romance – and I’m not sure I’d’ve attempted it without the push provided by the Shivers contest.
The Shivers series is unique. Have you participated in any other such writing project?

I have participated in several themed contests on Literotica under a different pseudonym. That is where I got my feet wet, so to speak, writing erotica. The Author’s Hangout (forum) is a wonderfully diverse environment with very talented denizens. I am certain I’d not be in this position today without their support and encouragement.
How did you feel about having your story selected for the Shivers series that was published recently?

Humbled. I read two of the entries which were not selected, and I know they were also top notch work. I love the opportunity to have a short work available as a taste of my style in advance of the release of fine flickering hungers, my single-author anthology (also from Phaze) which will be released later this year.
Can you tell us briefly about your story contribution to the Phaze Shivers series?

Erotique is the story of an independent young woman who is too busy to allow herself the luxury of romance. The premature passing of her benefactor forces her to assume the management of the renowned sex toy shop and museum years before she’d expected – and, in due course, also forces her latent feelings for her best friend to the surface. Of course, the “educational” museum exhibits add some serious spice to the story.
Do you have any plans to expand on your story into another book for your secondary characters?

Hmm. There are no secondary characters in Erotique. However, I can envision a sequel in the same setting with the same characters or, perhaps, even the next generation. It’s not high on my ‘to do’ list, though. NaNo’s next.
Do you have any other upcoming projects or book releases? Do you want to tell us briefly about them?

Oh, great segue! Yeah, I’ll be participating in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writer’s Month) in November – a first for me. My novel is called Zane – a historical erotic romance set on the American frontier circa 1780 – and will involve a love triangle between Betty Zane, her brother Isaac, and Wyandot princess Myeerah.

In addition, my first full-length work will soon be published (also by Phaze). It’s called fine flickering hungers and is a compilation of 8 erotic short stories and 6 poems.

Lastly, I’ll be having my first book signing at The Tool Shed, a sex toy shop, in Milwaukee on November 12th!
Now for the fun questions.

What do you find sexy in a man?

Wit, integrity, intelligence, altruism, and a huge … smile. That’s true for all people … not just men. To me, the mind is the sexiest part of the body.
Do you have a favorite sex toy?

Absolutely. Oh, you want more? Toys figure prominently in several of my stories. In order to ensure believability and accuracy, I must do extensive “research.” I have come to the conclusion that writing erotica is the most “satisfying” job in the world.
What is your favorite cuss word?

Cuss? Ladies don’t cuss! I, however, am not a lady. *grin* I believe ‘fuck’ is the most versatile word in the English language – and I like versatility.

No comments: