Tuesday, January 31, 2006

May Reviews Interview


  • Would you list the title and publishers of your works?  (If the work is not erotic, underline it so we will know that it is different.)

    • Erotique (October 2005 from Phaze)

      Mandy stands to inherit the family legacy – a famous Philadelphia adult toy store and museum called Erotique – but she first has to meet the terms of the will and spend the night.  With the help of her best friend, Bruce, she soon discovers the exhibits are VERY educational and her feelings for Bruce run deeper than she realized.

    • fine flickering hungers (November 2005 from Phaze)

      A finalist in the first annual Fruity Awards, fine flickering hungers is a collection of eight erotic short stories with accompanying poetry.  Sexual scenarios vary from hetero- to mono- to homosexual to group, with the only common thread being that they seldom (if ever) take place in a bed.


  • Is there a genre that makes you uncomfortable to write?  Would you write it in spite of your discomfort if your publisher asked you to submit a story of that genre?

    There are some genres which are less familiar to me than others and as such, the words don’t flow as easily from my mind and my fingertips.  However, if my publisher asked me to submit work in a particular genre, I would be very flattered and would do my best to rise to the challenge.

    Under no circumstances will I produce work – in any genre – which I feel would perpetuate bigotry, hatred, or violence.  There’s too much of that in the world already.


  • Do you lock yourself away when writing?  And when do you normally write?

    I wish I had the luxury of seclusion while writing!  I would prefer to write in the mornings – when my ideas seem to pop – but with an active family that’s not always possible.  Instead, I tend to sneak short periods of writing in between the cooking, laundry, housework, banking, soccer games, grocery shopping, homework, etc.  By the time the kids are tucked away for the night, I’m ready to unwind with a good book, an online game of euchre with my bestest buddy, or some sexy “research” in the bedroom.


  • Do you take your work with you when you go on vacation with the family?

    What is this “vacation” thing of which you speak?

    In this field, to think is to work – and my mind is always working (usually on the erotic).  I almost always have my computer with me “just in case” I get a few minutes to write.  Plus, I keep a journal handy for jotting down random inspiration.


  • Are you addicted to writing?   If yes, why do you think you are addicted?

    I am addicted to the rush that comes through creativity and problem-solving.  I need a productive outlet for those energies to stave off the depression and apathy.  When my writing evokes the desired emotional response in the reader, it is a phenomenal high.


  • If you had an opportunity to travel in time, where would you go and in what time period?  Why?

    There are times in the past I’d love to visit – as an observer, not a participant – just to determine the veracity of the historical accounts.  However, if I’m to go as a participant, I’d have to choose the future – particularly a future lacking the divisive attitudes about individuality which are prevalent today.


  • If you could bring any character from a book alive so that you could spend time with them, who would it be?  Do you think you would be able to form an emotional relationship with them?

    I’m assuming you mean one of MY characters, so I’d have to say Mandy – from Erotique.  She is strong-willed, competent, daring, and sexy – all qualities I admire.  I think we could be great friends – perhaps even more.


  • Once you brought this character to life, if s/he isn’t like you had believed, would you be willing to make them disappear, or wait to see if you can find the person within that you were looking for?

    I would never intentionally harm another person – especially one I “brought to life.”  If my creation was not as desired, we’d simply go our separate ways.


  • Do you believe people are willing to purchase erotic books in paperback in the same quantities as they do in e-book?   Why?

    It really depends on the environment and on the book.  I think that as far as erotic literature is concerned, e-books are preferred because sexual subject matter is still viewed as something to be concealed.  Visitors to your home might notice The Story of O on your bookshelf, but they’ll never know what’s on your computer.  You might not dare open your print copy of The Erotic Adventures of Sleeping Beauty while waiting to board your flight, but on a PDA, it’s at your fingertips with none the wiser.


  • E-books are a growing product line. Do you believe e-books are a good way to publish?  Why?

    If you’d ask me this question a year ago, I would’ve probably said that anything less than print was not “real” publishing.  I now know better.  While I can’t say I’m a true fan of e-books (as a consumer – yet), I do appreciate the market and think it provides a perfect niche for shorter works that is missing in the print world.

    I really like the way my publisher (Phaze) handles things: book-length titles are released as e-books and when/if they reach certain sales benchmarks, they go to print.

    When I read, I do prefer to hold a print book in my hands.  Part of that is due to eye strain and physical comfort, but part is just habit.  I think that as the technology improves and PDAs & e-book readers become more common (prevalent, for example, in public libraries and schools), the market will gradually shift away from print books.


  • When you receive a contract do you read it before signing, or do you have someone else read it and tell you what it contains?

    I read the contract myself before even submitting work to a publisher.  If a sample contract is not available online, I’m not interested.  Period.


  • Do you have a collection?  What do you collect?

    I do!  I can’t explain the allure, but I collect decorative bird cages.  Go figure.

    While not exactly a “collection,” I also have an office supply fetish.  Family members give me gift certificates to places like Office Depot because they know I just love those fancy printer papers, labels, document protectors (*drool*), sticky notes, pens, blank journals, etc.  My file cabinets are just full of the stuff, most of which will never be used (although I do occasionally fondle it).


  • Time travel is an interesting thought, if you could live in the past, do you think you could be happy without the luxuries we have now?  What do you think you would miss the most?

    Once I have something which makes life easier, I don’t want to do without it for any length of time (if at all).  But, sure, I could be happy in the past.  As for “luxuries,” I’d most miss the modern bathroom.  I’m not sure I could ever be truly relaxed and comfortable if I felt unclean.


  • What is your favorite dessert?

    Skin.


  • Writing is stressful on the body, although many don’t realize it.  Do you pamper you body to relax it?  How?

    I find that extensive research of sex toys is wonderfully relaxing.  It’s also a tax write-off.  *wink*  Can’t beat that!

    I do also occasionally indulge in a professional massage, but right now – at least until I really start thinking of it as “work” – writing IS a form of relaxation for me.


  • Has the internet helped the publishing business in your opinion?


    Without a doubt – especially, as I mentioned earlier, for short stories and poetry.


  • If your latest book was chosen to be made into a movie, which actors would you choose to play the parts of the main characters?

    Oh, my selections would probably be vetoed by the producers because I wouldn’t choose “eye candy” to bring my characters to life.  I prefer to stick to the written word, anyway – to the “mind candy.”  It’s waaaaaay sexier.


  • What genre do you believe to be the most intriguing? Why?

    Anything that relates to sex is intriguing.  Desire, motivation, love/hate, exploration, personal growth – sex covers ‘em all.  Romance, in and of itself, probably interests me the least.  I like character-driven works in all genres.


  • What genre do you prefer to write?  Why?

    I’d have to say that contemporary erotica is my strongest suit, although I’ve enjoyed my forays into the paranormal and historical realms. 


  • Is there anything you would like to tell our readers that I haven’t covered?

    Readers can find me online at http://alessiabrio.blogspot.com and in the Phaze Starlight Lounge at http://www.phaze.com/forum

    Peace, y’all.

No comments: